While it is one of the most important points of protection for your home – keeping out harsh elements and pests, helping to regulate temperatures inside – the more you know about siding, the more you can understand all of the benefits it brings. Whether you are selling your home, looking to update the look or simply want to expand your own knowledge, here are a few facts you should know about your home’s exterior…
- Most brands of vinyl siding can withstand winds of up to 110 mph! If harsher winds do damage siding, it can be easily repaired or replaced.
- Over 30% of the homes in the United States have vinyl siding on them! It’s used more frequently for residential siding projects.
- Vinyl siding was first introduced in the 1950’s as an alternative to aluminum siding.
- The colors on vinyl siding will last much longer than traditional exterior paint for your home.
- It requires much less maintenance than almost all other siding types! It’s also less expensive than clapboard siding, which makes it cost-efficient.
- The warranties for vinyl siding manufacturers are usually life-long and can be transferred. Follow the warranty guidelines for proper maintenance to keep it active and it can save you big money on repairs or other issues down the road!
Siding is a personal preference. The reason most homeowners choose vinyl siding is because it requires far less upkeep, is highly durable and you can customize the colors and styles to create a fantastic look. Wood siding can rot or chip quite easily and needs to be meticulously painted throughout the years. Steel siding is expensive and labor intensive to install and will rust. While aluminum and cement fiber siding are great alternatives to vinyl, many find the cost and low maintenance of vinyl siding to be the deciding factor.
With so many choices to protect your home, it can feel overwhelming. Schedule a consultation with siding professionals to discuss the various options and what will be best for your home, region and budget. Shop around for prices and always check reviews and references before you hire a siding installation company. Siding is one of the most critical components of your home and is a significant investment so do as much research as necessary and never be pressured to hire a company right away.
Understanding what vinyl siding offers is the first step in deciding if it is the right look and protection for your home!